Oesophageal stent for cancer
- This 82 year old gentleman could not swallow due to a cancer at the upper end of the stomach (below the oesophagus).
- At endoscopy, a gentle stretch was performed followed by the insertion of a stent.
- Self-expanding metal stents (SEMS) and the self-expanding plastic polyflex stent can be used for symptom relief in patients with locally unresectable or advanced metastatic oesophageal or gastric cancer.
- Most patients undergoing stent placement for malignant oesophageal obstruction improve to an extent where at least liquids can be tolerated.
- The rate of serious adverse events is low.